Celebrating World Oceans Day and Rasing Fund to Rebuild
“Zero Waste to Oceans Education and Demonstrations Center”
Sawangan, Nusa Dua, June 08th 2017
1. Background of World Oceans Day
World Oceans Day takes place every June 8. It has been celebrated unofficially since its original proposal in 1992 by Canada’s International Centre for Ocean Development (ICOD) and the Ocean Institute of Canada (OIC) at the Earth Summit – UN Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED) in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The Brundtland Commission, i.e. the World Commission on Environment and Development, provided the inspiration for a global oceans day.
The 1987 Brundtland Report noted that the ocean sector lacked a strong voice compared to other sectors. At the first world Oceans Day in 1992, the objectives were to move the oceans from the sidelines to the centre of the intergovernmental and NGO discussions and policy and to strengthen the voice of ocean and coastal constituencies world wide.
Why ROLE Foundation celebrate World Oceans Day?
- ROLE Foundation want to remind everyone of the major role the oceans have in everyday life. They are the lungs of our planet, providing most of the oxygen we breathe.
- ROLE Foundation want to inform the public of the impact of human actions on the ocean.
- ROLE Foundation want to develop a worldwide movement of citizens for the ocean.
- ROLE Foundation want to mobilize and unite the world’s population on a project for the sustainable management of the world’s oceans. They are a major source of food and medicines and a critical part of the biosphere.
- ROLE Foundation want to celebrate together the beauty, the wealth and the promise of the ocean.
2. Debate and Networking
On the Day we celebrate World Oceans Day, June 08th, in Role Foundation Eco Park , Sawangan Nusa Dua, there are two teams for debate. Before the debate starting Bali WISE student performing a song, playing game and dancing. When the debate is over, everyone enjoying themselves with finger food and beverages also building a networking time.
The two team debate about Will the people, jobs and business survive the next 30 – 100 years?
Pro (Team Captain – Jeroen):
- Government is being more active and with the new president and ministry of Indonesia there’s hope for a change on the environment.
- As what the Diveathon is about, we see that Diver / dive center are trying to help by picking up the waste in the ocean, saving coral reefs and more
- The main problem is littering, if everyone stop littering this problem wouldn’t event exist. Government needs to be more strict with their laws, begin a massive ads campaign on waste and shame those who litter.
- We see on the new initiatives by Bali teenager, Malu Dong Buang Sampah Sembarangan (Shame on You for throwing thrash not in the right place) and One Island One Voice. That youth movement is very effective, they are gathering more people joined up the initiatives, they have their first massive event and it was a success.
- By switching from our everyday use of transportation to a more eco friendly way such as electric car, electric bike or any transportation that use Solar System (powered by sun). We can reduce the carbon waste that are going into our air and stop pollution and diseases that are in fact cause by it.
- One NGO are trying to make their own motorcycle, but instead of using plastic and metal as the body part, they used bamboo instead. It’s way sustainable and would easily be recycled, unlike the plastic body we use nowdays.
- The Newly Dengue vaccines is working and will save thousand of life
Negative (Team Captain – Madi):
- Oxygen will be finished in about 40 years time max, most of the oksigen on earth are produced by coral and our coral is dying because of the waste and pollution in the ocean.
- Our Government seems to be more interested in infrastructure rather than saving the planet.
- Education only won’t help the earth. There’s need to be more actions.
- Enforcing the government to more active in saving the environment, Money are always the key into several problem, it could be good or bad. And with money, we might enforce our government in being more aware of the problem
- With the corruption going on right now, I don’t think there’s not much we can do.
- Toxic fume leads to cancer, and all the waste which are not consider as home for mosquito are causing dengue fever. Humanity is dying.
- A lot of sickness and hazard are cause by waste, a lot of company who are dumping their waste illegally doesn’t really care.
3. Financial Report
4. Event Photo’s