UPCYCLING WASTE SOAP FROM THE HOSPITALITY
INDUSTRY WHILE HELPING …
- LOCAL WOMEN’S BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
- TAKE WASTE OUT OF THE ENVIRONMENT
- ORPHANS, THE ELDERLY, THE DISADVANTAGED
About the Program
- S.O.A.P stands for Sustainable Opportunity Achieving Possibility
- Hotel guests throw away 75 tonnes of soap in hotels in Bali every year.
- The program collects, sanitizes and reprocesses used hospitality soap, creating a new upcycled bar
- We give the finished product to poor communities that are in need of hygiene products.
- The program offers skills training to disadvantaged women who are not suited to work in the hospitality industry.
- We collect soap from the hotels every month from hotels all around Bali. We deliver it to the small-scale reprocessing center at the Bali WISE campus and Zero Waste to Ocean Education Center in Nusa Dua.
- Bali WISE requests a monthly donation, based on the number of rooms in the hotel/number of villas, to cover costs of reprocessing, packaging and distributing it and paying a fair wage to the processors. The base amount is IDR 500,000 plus IDR 1,000 per room/villa for up to a maximum amount of IDR 950,000 per month.
- We are hoping to expand the number of hotels that we cooperate with from 37 to 50 by 2020. This will also enable us to employ more disadvantaged local women as soap processors.
- Our skills workers break down the used hospitality soap, sanitize, then reconstruct it incorporating a range of organic fragrances such as lemongrass and jasmine.
- Our aim is to reprocess 19,500 used bars annually.
- The finished upcycled product is distributed to orphanages, disadvantaged and poor people, who lack access to basic hygiene products for free.
How to Sign Up
Follow these four easy steps to sign up to the S.O.A.P. Program and start getting your used soap upcycled straight away!
- Meet with staff from Bali WISE to discuss the S.O.A.P. Program and the Memorandum of Understanding (M.O.U)
- Sign the M.O.U.
- Organize the gathering of used soap from your hotel rooms/villas and it will be collected by a R.O.L.E. Foundation employee each month.
- Sit back and read your monthly report giving you details about the progress of the program, knowing that you are making a worthy contribution to the elimination of waste in Bali and the provision of fairly paid eco-friendly jobs for disadvantaged women!
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at
Our CSR Partner: