Community Environment & Skills Center
Bali WISE College (www.baliwise.org)
Community Environment & Skills Center
WHO WE ARE AT GLANCE
Founded in 2007, R.O.L.E. Foundation was created to stop land-based waste from getting into the oceans, and help create sustainable jobs to protect the livelihoods of coastal communities
Through R.O.L.E’s campus we provide education, and skills training programs and grassroots community assistance to alleviate poverty and ensure environmental sustainability
A nonprofit organization based in Nusa Dua, Bali, Indonesia
(Reg. No.: 466.3/367/BOBS/DISKESOS)
WHY WE NEED TO ACT
Indonesia produces around 64 million tons of waste per year. Approximately 50% of this reaches landfill sites, the rest is either burned or illegally dumped and flows into the ocean. This massive volume of waste is now covering Australia’s northern beaches.
Up to 75% of Bali’s garbage is not collected by official services. There are only five legal garbage dumps on the whole island. Because it is so far to transport waste, 50% of it is dumped. Makeshift rubbish dumps are everywhere due to poor governance.
Having Clean Oceans FREE of Land-Based Waste and Sustainable Businesses for Balinese/Indonesian Coastal and Island Communities for a Healthy Environment.
- Inspire the local government to incorporate the “Zero Waste to Ocean” waste management into their process that waste is recycled or upcycled on site.
- Grow children and local communities into ‘Zero Waste’ believers and doers
- Promote sustainable jobs and businesses that do not harm any of our natural resources, such as organic cotton and natural dye weaving, permaculture farming and soap recycling.
- Regain skills in Zero Waste to Oceans Small Business, Governance, Health and Diet, Youth Skills, Women’s Promotion, with Skills + Business Training
- Join like minded NGO, organizations, groups and individuals in this massive struggle for a healthy sustainable balance waste free life
NEW CENTER UNDER CONSTRUCTION
R.O.L.E. Foundation is currently operational with up to 20 different Programs and Projects, but is still constructing one of it’s two mini-campus, the 2300m2 Community Environment & Skills Center that includes its Zero Waste to Oceans Education. This will demonstrate machinery and systems that can recycle or use 98% of all waste. Organic, non-recyclables, and recyclables are separated and converted into materials beneficial for everyday life. Other waste materials are prepared for shipping to Surabaya. With most plastic chip going back to China. This Community Center with endeavor to skill up young people to meet the challenge. The Center will also promote sustainable business such as producing of natural dyes, organic cotton weaving, and soap recycling, good governance skills such as mapping and design, diet and health, especially for women, Children’s Programs will semi skill the children, especially the 15, 16,17 and 18 year olds, for Role Models and learning community management skills, in our Public Schools 1/2 day Training program and our Eco Scouts program. Marginalised and At Risk Women’s are a priority and are being skilled up in our jobs and business program at the Center.
OUR ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION PROGRAMS
- Local Government.Zero Waste to Oceans complete systems training.
1. Educate two busloads of local primary schoolchildren each week with a half day interactive Waste-to-Wonder training program.
2. Introduce global environmental problems and local solutions to high school students through our Think-Global-Act-Local program.
- Hotels and Businesses: Teach Zero-Waste-to-Ocean system to hotels and local businesses
OUR SUSTAINABLE BUSINESS
- Recycled soap program
- Natural dyes and organic cotton traditional scarf weaving
- Beach cleaning training
ACHIEVEMENT TO DATE
- Since 2007, 6,429 children have gone through our Children Healthy Environment Interactive Training program
- We have completed; Permaculture Training at the Kerobokan Jail; the Sawangan Waste Management Pilot Project; Padang Padang Shipwreck Cleanup; Eco Surf Rescue Uluwatu; Built and Implemented Waste Management Systems into Ngis Village and Komala Village
- We have trained 31 Environmental Ambassadors
HOW YOU CAN HELP US
- Become a partner or sponsor:
We actively seek partnership with business that aim to support our projects through their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) program.
- Be a member:
Support us as Founding Members or Yearly Members.
Consider a regular donation to help our work for a clean environment.
Our volunteers and interns don’t fetch coffee. We’re always looking for talented and ambitious interns to join our team. If you’re passionate, articulate, and ready to better the world, join us!
- Raising Funds through costumers:
Your customer donates through a product, service or promotion. One example is the opt-in program (one dollar per night is charged to the room and customer has the option to opt-out on payment), or a product (e.g. T-shirts).
- Fundrais through your event or promotion:
You can help support our programs and improve the lives of many Balinese by raising funds and contributing to our cause.
- Join our:
1. Environmental Interactive Education Program
2. MICE Program
3. Team Building Activities
4. Your Event, Our Venue Collaboration